Apparently I like to make bread! (see lemon-lavender bread) It was a cold morning here in GA and I needed to be creative! With some cream cheese and extra bananas that were going to waste, I got busy:
Start with veg. oil (or butter) and sugars - mix well
Add in your mashed bananas, eggs, vanilla and dry ingredients (minus flour)
Mix in the flour
Set the bread mixture aside and mix the cream cheese filing
in a well oiled pan (I used a bundt pan) Add 1/2 the bread mixture
Spoon on the cream cheese mixture and gently spread
Cover with remaining mixture and bake
- 3 large bananas, very ripe
- 1/2 cup vegetable or coconut oil
- 1/2 cup white sugar*
- 1/2 cup brown sugar*
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
*total sugar can be reduced by 50%, or 1/2 cup, without affecting the outcome
Cream Cheese Filling
1 large egg
8 ounces softened brick-style cream cheese (lite is okay)
1/4 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Butter and flour the loaf pan.
- Mash the bananas with a hand or stand mixer. You should have 2 cups of liquified banana. Set banana aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine sugar, oil and vanilla. Add eggs and beat well.
- Add bananas and mix well.
- Incorporate dry ingredients with a spatula, gently folding only until no more flour streaks remain.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and bake for 50-70 minutes. Test with a toothpick for doneness. When only a few moist crumbs cling to the toothpick, remove from oven immediately.
- Cool in pan for 15 minutes. Invert onto cooling rack and allow to cool.
- Wrap tightly in plastic wrap for storage. Banana bread freezes well!